Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Yay...we're done with corn!

You may have to be a farmers wife to truly appreciate this, but it's one happy day when we're finished with corn season on our farm! This year, it couldn't have happened at a more perfect time with our baby coming Monday! Ryan and I took Jeff out lunch this afternoon so I snapped a couple quick pictures of him chopping the last field of the year! Ryan asked me "Why does Daddy have a John Deere header on the chopper"... seriously, he's a true farmer at heart, I think. I explained to him that it's a special header for "earlage" which basically is chopping the corn for just the kernels of corn, rather than the entire stock like we usually chop. This makes for corn feed for our cattle that we (and all other dairy farmers) have to usually buy. Jeff was just starting back up after a sensor alarm went off in the cab telling him there was metal in the header. He was able to find the piece of metal and get it out before it did any damage to the chopper (thank goodness!) and he was on his way! Gotta love technology sometimes!
It couldn't have been a more perfect day out to finish our season, either. The sun was shining and the sky was blue. We'll take this any year over it being cloudy and rainy.


0 comments: