Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, January 2, 2009

Rough start to 2009!

So we sort of started 2009 on a odd note. Yesterday morning, Jeff was in our rec. room chatting with his parents and snacking on a couple handfuls of mixed nuts from Costco. About 10 minutes later after he helped his brother put a canopy thing up outside on our deck for his mom and Aunt to cook under later in the day for their New Years day party, he started feeling really funny. When I walked out there to get something, he was itching everywhere really bad and said he felt really funny and thought he was having a reaction to something and was going to the hospital. Luckily, like I mentioned, his parents were here so his mom (a RN) was able to drive him in to the ER. Before they left he took 2 Benedryl... thankfully! By the time he got there he was having a full-on allergic reaction and a bad one- he was covered in hives and feeling like his body was shutting down. When they got him admitted and gave him some medicine, he slowly started to feel better. They said he had a severe reaction to the nuts and was lucky he got there when he did and also said that was a good call that he took the Benedryl before he left home because he could have been even worse off! Once he was stable, his mom kept in touch with me as to what was going on and then I was able to take the boys out to my parents so I could relieve his mom and be with Jeff. It just so happened as I was on my way up there, they discharged him so I just picked him up and took him to get his prescriptions, including a Epi-Pen in case it's ever needed in the future. He said he was really saying his prayers on the way there as he'd never felt that awful before. Really scary stuff. We're just glad it was a happy ending and he's okay. He eats nuts pretty often, but the doctor said that you can eat them a million times and that millioneth time your body can decide it doesn't like them anymore and have a serious reaction. He's making an appt. to go to the local allergy clinic and find out just which nut(s) he is allergic to. He has a feeling it was those big Brazil ones as that's what he kept tasting during his reaction, but it's hard to say till he has the test done.

I hope your 2009 started off on a less eventful note!

0 comments: